Monday, July 13, 2009

I've never had so much fun failing at something!

Tonight, like every night, we headed down to the fire pit to start a fire and sing songs and tell jokes and act utterly silly. The problem with West Virginia though, is that pretty much everything is wet pretty much all the time, no matter how hot the day or how brightly the sun is shining (I have a pair of socks that got wet on the first day. They are still wet...) One can imagine the various ways that such an environment would not be conducive to starting a big bonfire, especially when the list of wet things includes the firewood you intend to start the fire with. However, somehow we go down there every night, convinced that this night is going to be different and we'll have a roaring fire in just a few minutes. This inevitably results in us singing ridiculous, made-up songs to the fire for a solid hour before it actually gets going (and even when it does, it's only a little baby fire). But, like I said, I've never had so much fun failing at something! Other songs on the list tonight included American Pie by Don McLean, Tiny Dancer by Elton John, Piano Man by Billy Joel, and Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan. It was pretty great. There are these two guys here from Mexico who are volunteering on the land, Armando and Rodrigo, and they are just the funniest two guys you have ever met. There are lots of great jokes about gringos and the like. Crackin' me up!

Speaking of guys, I'm so impressed with the quality of all the people here. I generally get along better with girls than guys, but I'm actually getting close to a lot of the guys here. It's a nice change.

I feel like I'm learning almost more just in the basic experience of being here than I am in the classes themselves, which I guess is often the case in life. Not that the classes aren't good. They are very good and we're asking a lot of great questions and having some really good discussions. But I feel for me, the greatest thing I'm going to take away from this experience is just the overall spirit of this place, which is one of overwhelming joy. Nothing here is a "chore" or "work". Even the simplest tasks and moments are infused with humor, spontaneity, creativity, openness, and improvisation. And it's in no way that phony "Oh look at us, we're always happy and always have smiles plastered on our faces because everything in life is just SO GREAT!" kind of way. It all comes from a very deep, real place, and that is so refreshing to see in a world where boredom, apathy, malcontent, and cynicism are all too often the norm. There is a basic joy of living which permeates every inch of this place. I took a short 40 minute nap today, and I was dreaming the funniest dreams! I was literally laughing in my sleep. I would sort of drift in and out of sleep, waking up as I was laughing every now and again. Maybe this all sounds a bit too utopian, but really, the spirit of this place is something quite special.

When I first arrived here, during the first full day especially, I was a bit worried to be feeling so uncomfortable and so out of place at moments. It took me by surprise, and I was afraid that the personal progress I felt I had made over the last few months had not been progress at all, and that I was back to square one. Now that I've adjusted however, I feel that this place is only bolstering the progress I have made, and I am becoming more 'me' than ever, which makes me extremely happy. There is so much more to write and share, but there simply aren't enough hours in the day! I'll try to post again tomorrow. I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment